Stockmaven_logo.png

 

advertise_with_us

 

Business and the Holocaust Research

 

Business and the Holocaust
Historical Media Reports

Copyright, 1921, by The New York Times Company.
Unedited Full Text. Used by permission.

New York Times April 28, 1921; page 30


CHANDLER PLANS BILL TO LET JEWS ENTER


Would Except Them From Immigration Measure - Raps Ford for His Attacks.

An amendment to the immigration bill before the Senate providing that an exception shall be made in the case of Jews who apply for admission to this country, and can show that they fit all the present requirements will be offered to the House of Representatives by Representative Walter M. Chandler of this city he said last night at a meeting in the Lexington Avenue Opera House. Henry Ford was vigorously attacked by Mr. Chandler. He said that it was Mr. Ford's contention that the Jews were trying to get control not only of the United States, but of the whole world.

"If 10 per cent. can get control of the other 90 per cent. in this country," said Mr. Chandler, "then let them do it. Henry Ford is influencing Congress today with the assertion that the Jews are trying to get control of the earth."

Mr. Chandler quoted Theodore Roosevelt as saying that he hoped to see the day when a Jew or a Catholic could be elected President of the United States. The burden of his speech was an attack on prejudices against Jews and Catholics. When Mr. Chandler had concluded, ex- Judge Leon Sanders, Chairman, reminded the gathering that it had not assembled as a protest by Jews or Catholics or any other race against the Immigration bill, but as a meeting of men and women who were 100 per cent. Americans.

The meeting was held under the auspices of the Hebrew Sheltering and Immigrant Aid Society. The other speakers were Aldermanic President F. H. LaGuardia, who said that we were "beginning where the Romanoffs left off." Representative Hallet S. Ward of North Carolina, who charged that the bill "is the result of racial prejudice" and that "there is more of that in this country today than we have had in the last fifty years," and Supreme Court Justice John MacCrate of Brooklyn.

The meeting adopted resolutions expressing, "its strongest disapproval of the bill as subversive of the ideals and principles of America," and appealing to Congress to make such ammendments as would exclude from the 3 per cent. limit the wives, children, parents, brothers and sisters of American citizens and declarants.



Top of page Business and the Holocaust Business and the Holocaust - Books Stock Maven®

 

About Opinion / Technical Analysis
Search Stocks and Shares: Enter Symbol (Lookup):
QuoteChart
Opinion Profile

 

 

 

 

 

© 2013 STOCK MAVEN: ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Stock Maven is a registered trademark ®